Second slide

What are the differences between a school, a college, and a university?

In many countries of the world, a college is a secondary school and is very different than a university. In the United States, however, colleges and universities are quite similar. Often, both colleges and universities are referred to as "schools." Generally, both colleges and universities in the United States are four-year institutions that offer a Bachelor of Arts degree or a Bachelor of Science degree. This is commonly known as an undergraduate or bachelor's degree. The main difference is that most universities also offer a higher level of study after you complete your bachelor's degree - resulting in a master's degree or doctorate. What confuses many international students is that Americans use the words "school," "college" and "university" interchangeably in conversation. For example, someone may ask, "Where do you go to school?" In this case, they simply want to know what university you are attending. Adding to the confusion, universities are often divided up into sections that are referred to as "colleges." The University of Idaho, for example, is organized into ten colleges, which include the College of Engineering, the College of Law and the College of Agriculture. No matter which of these colleges you attend, your degree will be issued by the University. You will also hear the word "college" when people discuss two-year colleges. These colleges (also called community colleges or junior colleges) offer a degree called an associate degree. Many international students choose to get this type of degree and then transfer to a four-year college or university to study two more years to earn a bachelor's degree. You will want to pay close attention when you read or hear information about a school, college or university, but recognize that all the institutions share the same basic principle -- providing a challenging and exciting place to study and earn a degree!

I have done B.Sc (a three-year undergraduate course) in chemistry. Can I apply for the graduate program in US universities?

For admission to Graduate studies, the eligibility is to have 16 years of full time higher level education. Few US Universities do offer one year course for students like you.

What kind of additional course should be done to fulfill the requirement of the four-year undergraduate studies? 

Any one year higher level Post Graduate course in the same subject which is recognized by AICTE or University can be taken for fulfilling the eligibility criteria.

I have got 65% in the final year of engineering. Is there any minimum percentage level required for applying to the graduate program?

It varies from University to University.

I am in the final year of M.Com and I am planning to do MBA. Can I get into MBA program without full-time work experience?

Most of the US Universities ask for minimum two years of work experience. But you can find a match if your profile is really strong. For assessment of your profile, you can visit our office.

I am an engineer in electronics and communication. Can I apply directly to the Ph.D. program? 

Yes, though you will have to match your research area with that of the University.

I am preparing the Statement of Purpose (SOP) for MBA in the international business. Is there any online service available which can help me in preparing my SOP? 

You can visit us at our Center. We provide guidance on preparing Statement of Purpose. Generally, a B school has Essays and not SOP.

When Should I take GRE and TOEFL exam if I am planning for FALL 2014 intake?

The GRE revised General Test is available on a continuous basis throughout the year. The Score is valid for 5 years. You should plan to take GRE from July to November. 

The TOEFL is available generally three times in a Month and the Score is valid for 2 years. 

You should keep the Application Deadline (Generally starts from December onwards) in mind while you take the GRE and TOEFL and plan accordingly as you have to submit the scores to the Institution at the time of submission of your Application.

When and why should I take GRE Subject Test? As an International Student, how many hours I am allowed to work?

Immigration laws of the USA do not allow international graduate students and their spouses (who are in the U.S. on F student visas) to work off-campus during their studies. On-campus work opportunities are limited as well (20 hours per week during the academic semester, 40 hours/week during school breaks), and there is a competition for open positions, while wages are comparatively low and do not cover the tuition and accommodation costs. Besides, graduate students are often so busy studying that they do not have time for working. An important note here: intended work in the U.S. cannot be declared as a funding source when applying for a visa.

Financial Aid

Which are the various types of Financial Assistance available to graduate students and how does one apply to them?

Many graduate departments at U.S. universities offer Teaching Assistantships or Research Assistantships to their graduate students (students pursuing a master's or doctoral degree). Assistantships usually involve a tuition award and some sort of salary in return for teaching or research duties. Such funds are generally controlled by individual departments at the university. It is often the case that a department will want to see how good a student you are and what kind of adjustment you make to university life before it will be willing to invest money in your education. In some cases, a department will accept only as many students as it can support with teaching or research assistantships. Although you will find some information about assistantships in a catalog or on university web pages, you may have to write directly to the department to inquire about this kind of funding. When you write to an academic department, you will need to explain your academic interests and your background. This exchange of information may occur after you have been accepted into the program. It is also important to inquire and apply early if you hope to receive financial assistance from the U.S. institution. Often deadlines for scholarships and assistantships are months before the normal application deadline. Even if you are lucky enough to receive aid, you will still have to have sufficient funds to travel to the United States and at least enough money to cover your first month's expenses.

From where can I get the information about Fullbright Scholarships and Other scholarships provided by US Government? 

The worldwide Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program brings visiting scholars and professionals from abroad to lecture at U.S. colleges and universities. Fulbright Scholars-in-Residence can have a significant impact on U.S. colleges and universities. Please check for more details.

What are my options in the U.S to reduce my expenses on my education?

1.    TA (Teaching Assistantship)
2.    RA (Research Assistantship)
3.    GA (Graduate Assistantship)
4.    Scholarship
5.    Part Time On-Campus Job